Saturday, July 4, 2009

Mastery ?

Posted by Kian, Ting

Tomorrow is my MBA exam for accounts and finance, but I cant seem to concentrate and study, I found this book Mastery written by George Leonard. He made some distinctions in learning, and commented on how one should be on the path to mastery, and to not be living in an illusion of a quick fix kind of learning. We are always learning because we need to do something, “Learn this to get that done”, but very few in this world would learn just for the fun of it.

He stressed that learning comes from experiences, and experiences comes from practice, that is how we could embody a knowledge. I have a good friend he is a guru in programming, and all that is related to IT, at a very young age he is already earning 5 figure income. He is a very humble man despite the skills he have, he studied many programming language and have passed many certifications with flying colors but he constantly complain to me that he forgets what he learned. So I thought to myself, it is the same thing the science subjects that I studied during my high school I have forgotten, the chemistry, the biology and physics, all I have forgotten. Because schooling system teaches us to memorize concepts, not understand, not experience and embody the concepts.

When you constantly practice a branch of knowledge you will experience it and in turn embody it. I was in a training once, the trainer said, “Practice Makes Perfect, so be very careful what you practice”, he then go on to elaborate that some of us are masters in giving excuse, because we practice it every day, some of us are masters of procrastination, because we train without fail these procrastination skills and experience.

Changing from where you are to where you want to be is a conscious thing, you got to practice, for me is a simple practice in discipline, a simple practice in slowing things down, taking one thing at a time, practice in time management, in time allocation, in the realistic use of time and most important of all, really is “What do I want to practice ?”.

The teacher then move on to say because practice makes perfect, and what comes after being perfect is mastery, what do you want to master in life ? He asked if I was given a prediction that I would live up to 150 years of age, and given now that I am only 27 what else would I like to learn, write it down on a piece of paper, and what I wrote was:-

1) 1) Psychology

2) 2) Aikido

3) 3) Carpentry

4) 4) Meditation

Then he ask why am I not doing it now, what is blocking me, I straight away answer that was because I am working, and I have to put food on the table for my family, I cannot be selfish going only after my own passion, I got to take care of my loved ones too. Then he said if I totally love what I wrote would I have any way to learn them, could I spend 1 hour each day to pick up the skills, could I enquire from my network of friends who are in those fields to guide me? Well I guess it is very possible.

0 comments:

Post a Comment